Campus Parking Citation Appeals
Campus Parking Citation Appeals Process
The appeals process grants the individual who believes that a campus parking citation was issued in error the opportunity to have the citation reviewed by an appeals committee. The appeals committee is made up of three members: an administrative representative, a faculty representative, and a student government representative. The Appeals Committee is independent from the COM Police Department.
You must pay or appeal the citation within 10 days (school/business days). Citations can be paid in person at the cashier office located in the Administration Building or over the phone with a credit card at 409-933-8377 (citation number and valid driver’s license number required).
Appeals must be submitted online within 10 days (school/business days) from the issuance of the citation.
Appeal forms with attached evidence and citation copies will be forwarded to the Appeals Committee to determine if appeal will be reviewed or automatically denied. If the appeal is accepted, a hearing will be scheduled.
You must have substantial and valid evidence that you did not commit a parking violation, or that it occurred due to circumstances beyond your control. You must upload valid documentation of evidence and copy of your citation with the appeal or your appeals request will be automatically rejected.
The following reasons for an appeal are considered invalid and will be rejected.
- Lack of knowledge of the parking laws and policies. For example, new to the campus or have not reviewed the laws or policies.
- Other vehicles were improperly parked.
- Only parked illegally for a short period of time.
- I parked like this before, but was not cited previously.
- Late to class, late to work, or late to an appointment.
- Inability to pay the fine.
- No other place to park.
- Illegally parked in a fire lane.
- Illegally parked in a handicap space or handicap access area.
- Appeal is not submitted within 10 days (school/business days).
- Insufficient evidence.
If the Appeals Committee accepts your appeal, you will be contacted for an appeal review hearing which occurs once a month. If you cannot attend the scheduled hearing you must email the Appeals Committee at email@example.com within 24 hours of the scheduled hearing or your appeal will be rejected and disqualified. The decision of the committee will be based on a majority vote and you will be notified of the decision via email within 24 hours after the hearing date.
All appeal ruling decisions are final.
- If your appeal is approved, you will not be required to pay the citation.
- If your appeal is denied, you will have 10 days (school/business days) to pay your citation at the cashier’s office located in the Student Center or over the phone at 409-933-8377 (citation number and valid driver’s license number required).