Frequently Asked Questions
- What types of nursing programs are available at COM?
- The Nursing Department offers two nursing programs. The Associate Degree Nursing Program
prepares graduates for licensure as registered nurses. The Vocational Nursing Program
prepares graduates for licensure as a licensed vocational nurse (LVN).
- When are the different Nursing programs offered at COM?
- The ADN Pre-Licensure Programs is offered every Fall and Spring semester.
- The LVN-RN Transition Program is offered every Summer semester only.
- The Vocational Nursing Program is offered every Spring semester only.
- What is the difference between a registered nurse and a licensed vocational nurse?
- The first difference is education. A registered nurse (RN) has completed at least two years of education and earned
an associate degree. A licensed vocational nurse has completed at least one year of
education and earned a certificate.
- The second difference is licensure. RNs must pass the NCLEX-RN to become licensed. LVNs must pass the NCLEX-PN to become
- The third difference is scope of practice. The RN has a broader scope of practice than the LVN. LVNs require appropriate supervision.
RNs may engage in autonomous nursing practice without supervision by another health
care provider. RNs may supervise and delegate certain aspects of patient care to LVNs.
- How will I know if I am selected for admission?
- After the application deadline, you can check the status of your application through
WebAdvisor by clicking on the nursing application link. The staff updates the status
as the ranking and selection processes progress. If you are selected for admission,
you must accept or decline the offer via WebAdvisor within a week. If you accept,
you will receive further instructions via your COM email.
- When should I begin to submit my immunizations?
- You should begin to ensure that you have all immunizations to apply to the nursing
program as soon as possible. You will not be able to submit your application without
uploading the Clinical Documentation Verification forms into the Nursing portal.
- How can I get access to the Nursing Portal?
- You must initiate your Nursing application and meet the TSI requirement (transcripts
must be officially on file with the Registrars office), meet the Pre-Requisite GPA
requirement, and HESI A2 requirement must be met within the application. Once all
requirements have been met, the Nursing staff will grant the applicant access to the
Nursing portal. Once access has been given it can take up to 24 hours before you have
full access to begin uploading the documentation.
- Can I apply to more than one program?
- Yes! You may apply to any nurisng program in which you meet the requirements.
- What do I have to make on the HESI A2?
- You must make at least 75% on each required section to be eligible to apply for any
Associate Degree Nursing Program track.
- You must score at least 70% on each required section to be eligible to apply for the
Vocational Nursing Program.
- Can I submit more than one HESI A2 Transcript?
- You may request to submit up to 3 transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org per application period. Transcripts must be received from Elsevier or COM Testing
- Can I switch program tracks after I am admitted to the program?
- You may not switch tracks after admission.
- What Health Insurance coverage is required?
- You need at least basic coverage or student health insurance.
- What will my schedule be for the first week of class?
- You will need to be available for class Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. the
first 2 weeks of class because you may need to attend clinical orientation.
- Do I have to attend Nursing Orientation?
- Your acceptance letter will indicate if you must attend Nursing Orientation.
- What days will my clinical courses be on?
- Clinical courses may be any day or time Monday through Sunday depending on the availability
of the hospital affiliation.
- What are the immunization requirements?
- Please refer to the Forms section on the COM Nursing website.
- How do I meet with the Nursing Advisor?
- Please visit Academic Advising and scroll down to Nursing Careers & Pre-Nursing to obtain Lesli Carroll's or Laura
Troncozo's e-mail address. Student's musto e-mail Lesli or Laura directly in order
to set up an appointment with her. Walk-ins are not available.