Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions in Financial Aid
- How do I apply for financial aid?
- To apply for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
(FAFSA) by the priority dates. The website to apply is www.fafsa.gov.
- What are the priority deadlines for financial aid applications?
- Fall — June 1
Spring — Nov. 1
Summer — May 1
- What is College of the Mainland’s FAFSA school code?
- Our school code is 007096
- How many hours do I need to take to receive financial aid?
- Students can be enrolled less than half time (6 hours) and still receive aid, except
for the student loan program. The William D. Ford Federal Direct/PLUS loan programs
require you to be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours that are required for completing
- Will I have to provide additional documents for my financial aid application?
- Students selected for verification by the U. S. Department of Education must provide
transcripts of the student’s and, if required, the parents’ federal income tax returns
plus any other income information received by the student’s/parents’ household as
required by their financial aid counselor.
- Do I have to provide my parents’ financial information on the FAFSA?
- When students complete the FAFSA, they will answer a series of questions that will
determine their dependency status. If a student is considered “dependent,” then their
parents’ information must be provided on the FAFSA.
- How do I check my financial aid status?
- You can log in to your WebAdvisor account and go to the “Financial Aid Checklist”
(under the Financial Aid heading) to get updates on the status of your financial aid
application. First-time users must follow the instructions on how to obtain your WebAdvisor
ID and password on the WebAdvisor home page. WebAdvisor allows students to:
- View financial aid status
- Register online for classes
- View grades
- View schedule and bill
- Pay tuition and fees online
- When do I receive my refund checks?
- Delivery of refund money is a multi-step process. First, COM draws funds from the
respective loan and/or grant provider and applies it to your student account. Once
this information is verified, it is sent to BankMobile Disbursements. Once the specific
refund information is received, it is processed and disbursed according to your selection.
- How do I buy books or supplies with my financial aid award?
- Students who have a financial aid award may buy their books at the campus Bookstore
one week prior to classes. As long as the student’s financial aid award is more than
the cost of their tuition and fees, their financial aid refund will be applied towards
their bookstore charges. For assistance in obtaining appropriate materials, students
must bring their class schedule to Bookstore personnel.