Apply for Student Relief Fund
The Harvey Student Relief Fund assists College of the Mainland students by providing financial support to students who have suffered losses due to Hurricane Harvey. These funds are not intended to replace financial aid, insurance coverage, or FEMA funds for which you may be eligible. This is a onetime allocation and priority will be given to those with documented home or auto damage with funds for expenses such as food, clothing, temporary shelter or replacing other basic essentials as a result of the storm. This funding does not have to be repaid.
Expenses covered by the Emergency Fund
(Below is a non-exhaustive list of expenses covered by the emergency fund.)
- Books and other essential academic expenses
- Temporary housing or other accommodations
- Replacement of essential personal belongings lost due to the storm
- Medications and other costs related to medical care and safety needs
Expenses not covered by the Emergency Fund
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable TV), household, or furniture costs not related to damage or loss
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses
- Loan payments
- Applicants must have a financial hardship resulting from Hurricane Harvey impact
- Applicants must be currently enrolled students of College of the Mainland in at least six semester credits or 60 CE Workforce contact hours
- All other resources, including emergency loans through Financial Aid must have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner
- Applicants must complete all questions in full and submit supporting documentation
Students who are in need of emergency financial assistance may submit an application and supporting documentation online at www.com.edu/scholarships.
The applications will be reviewed and the appropriate funding amount determined. Awards will typically range from $100 to $250. A maximum of $500 will be awarded for unique and unusual circumstances of emergency financial need. Applicants may be required to meet with a staff member to discuss their application. For information on the application process, students should contact the Foundation offices at 409-933-8508 or 409-933-8624.
- The number of applicants served by the Harvey Student Relief Fund is subject to the funds available.
- To contribute to the Relief Fund, please go to www.com.edu/giving/harveyrelief.