Campus Parking Citation Appeals
Campus Parking Citation Appeals Process
The appeals process grants the individual who believes that a campus parking citation was issued in error the opportunity to have the citation reviewed by an appeals committee. The appeals committee is made up of three members: an administrative representative, a faculty representative, and a student government representative. The Appeals Committee is independent from the COM Police Department.
- To appeal a citation, you must first pay the citation within 10 days (school/business days) so that you will not incur a late fee. Pay citations at the cashier office (Bldg. 2).
- Secondly, submit an appeals form to the College of the Mainland Police Department (Bldg. 16) within 10 days (school/business days) from the issuance of the citation. The appeals form can be found online at http://www.com.edu/police.
- Appeal forms with attached evidence, citation copies, and citation payment receipts will be forwarded to the Appeals Committee and a hearing will be scheduled.
You must have substantial and valid evidence that you did not commit a parking violation, or that it occurred due to circumstances beyond your control. You must submit valid documentation of evidence, copy of your citation, and copy of citation payment receipt with the appeals form or your appeals request will be automatically rejected.
- The following reasons for an appeal are considered invalid and will be rejected.
- Lack of knowledge of the parking laws and policies. For example, new to the campus or have not reviewed the laws or policies.
- Other vehicles were improperly parked.
- Only parked illegally for a short period of time.
- I parked like this before, but was not cited previously.
- Late to class, late to work, or late to an appointment.
- Inability to pay the fine.
- No other place to park.
- Illegally parked in a fire lane.
- Illegally parked in a handicap space or handicap access area.
- Appeal is not submitted within 10 days (school/business days).
- Insufficient evidence.
- Once your appeal has been received, you will be contacted for an appeals review hearing which occurs the first Wednesday of the month from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. If you cannot attend the scheduled hearing you must give notification to the campus police department (409-933-8403) within 24 hours of the scheduled hearing or your appeal will be rejected and disqualified. The decision of the committee will be based on a majority vote and you will be notified of the decision via email within 24 hours after the hearing date.
- All appeal ruling decisions are final.
- You will receive a refund from the cashier office (Bldg. 2) for dismissed citations.